Sunday, January 17, 2010

Frostbite Half-Marathon

Those of us who've participated in any sort of organized road race know they can't happen without volunteers, lots of 'em.  Today was no different, it was the 29th Annual Running of the Frostbite Half-Marathon at Yokota Air Base, Japan.  I figured it was my turn to volunteer at a race, so I signed up to be a bicycle medic.  The race was aptly named "Frostbite;" take a look at the weather conditions just before I left to ride my bike to the race at 0615 this morning.  Note the temperature.

Other than being cold before the sun came up, it turned out to be a pretty nice day.  The sky was clear, the air was calm, we even had a pretty good view of Mt Fuji.


I don't really have much to report about the race itself.  It went pretty well, a few dehydrated folks, some trips and falls, the usual at any sort of race that hosts several thousand people.  There were actually three events: a kids 2k, a 5k, and a half marathon.  Between the three races I probably rode my bike 25-30 miles with a few all out sprints thrown in to answer radio calls for a medic.  I guess the best thing now is to share some pictures I took during the event (click to enlarge).


All bundled up in my safety green volunteer sweatshirt, waiting for the races to start.


Refueling between races.


Homeboy in the blue came and gave me a high-five.


Pooh was there.


And his buddy Tigger.


You knew Picachu was gonna show.


I'm not sure where you go to get a bowling pin costume.


She was trying to blend in by looking American.


And of course, no race in Japan would be complete without a Hello Kitty costume.

-Now, go do some push-ups-


Ps.  As you may have noticed (both of you who've read my blog thus far), I decided to change the name.  I think this is a more suitable, more permanent name.  If you didn't catch on it's part of a quote by Friedrich Nietzsche:
"that which does not kill us makes us stronger"
I liked the thought, because as hard as it can be some days to get off your butt and make yourself stronger, it will almost never kill you.  You can even do it in a Hello Kitty costume if that makes you feel better about it.

1 comment:

  1. ...wearing a costume at those temperatures might come handy for the cold.

    Now.. where does one go to get a Hello Kitty costume THAT big? :| It really doesn't look home made....

    -Now get me a sammich-

    ReplyDelete